1. Becoming an adaptive leader: Emerging health leaders' perspectives (Panel)
Overview and Objectives:
The healthcare industry is constantly changing and increasing in complexity. It requires leaders who are flexible and possess the knowledge, skills, and vision to manage uncertainty. Adaptive leadership provides stakeholders with the means to thrive in turbulence. Adaptive leadership is especially pertinent for emerging health leaders, for whom adaptability will continue to be a daily reality. What are the emerging health leaders’ experiences of engaging in adaptive leadership? How can their senior leaders and colleagues best support their development? What are the facilitators and barriers that accelerate or hinder their professional capacity to have an impact during systems transformation?
- Increase understanding of the various perspectives on adaptive leadership and how those views may differ by stakeholder group and leadership level.
- Understand what facilitates and hinders emerging health leaders in becoming adaptive leaders.
- Explore opportunities for cultural and workplace resources to enable the development of adaptive leadership for emerging leaders.
These objectives are deeply related to the theme of the conference and offer pragmatic takeaways for session attendees.
Activities, Methods, Innovations:
To understand the various perspectives on adaptive leadership among various healthcare stakeholders, a mixed-methods environmental scan will be conducted through an online survey. In addition, key informant interviews will be conducted to obtain a deeper understanding of emerging health leaders’ lived experiences in regard to adaptive leadership. Qualitative data will be analyzed using thematic analysis.
Outcomes & Results:
After engaging senior leaders, emerging health leaders, and patients, a mixed-methods analysis will be conducted to identify key themes, including:
- What challenges emerging health leaders face in relation to systems transformation and adaptive leadership.
- What supports and prevents emerging health leaders in thriving as adaptive leaders.
- What emerging health leaders require from their superiors, colleagues, and workplace to best contribute as adaptive leaders.
- How senior leaders can support the development of emerging health leaders in becoming adaptive leaders.
Results of the environmental scan and in-depth interviews will set the context for a moderated panel discussion, which will include: one senior leader, two to three emerging health leaders, and one patient.
Leadership Lessons & System Changes:
Participants will have an understanding of key factors that enable adaptive emerging health leaders. In particular, participants will learn about the complex issues that emerging health leaders are facing, how they are adapting to these challenges, and how other individuals can contribute to their development of adaptive skills. Improved self-awareness and understanding of these challenges will support participants in future leadership encounters.
Emerging health leaders face a unique career prospect, starting their journeys in a healthcare sector that is undergoing mass-scale transformations. For them, continuous change will continue to an everyday reality. To help better equip junior healthcare leaders, we can leverage the expertise of our colleagues and their adaptive leadership practices. Doing so, we will learn how to best support emerging health leaders and their development. In this session, we will share our findings while kicking off a lively conversation about the adaptive leadership of the future.
Art Assoiants – Emerging Health Leaders
Viorica Lefter – Emerging Health Leaders
Madiha Mueen – Emerging Health Leaders
Shahriar Rozen – Emerging Health Leaders
Bindra Shah – Emerging Health Leaders
Doran Walker – Emerging Health Leaders