This conference is the largest national gathering of health system leaders in Canada and provides a forum for questions, debate and sharing strategies and solutions to the most pressing health system challenges. This year’s theme is Creating the winning conditions for change.
NHLC 2018 will celebrate success and showcase how change is happening now – and in the future – to improve the health of all Canadians. Health leaders from across Canada and internationally will share their achievements in overcoming barriers to change and identify the critical enablers that made these changes possible. The role of leadership in advancing transformational change agendas – from addressing the social determinants of health to improving digital health – will be highlighted. Key issues to be examined include:
• Government and policy – What is the role of government to set the tone, direction and policy for change? How do health leaders work with political leaders to ensure buy-in for change? How do they ensure ongoing sustainability of change? How do organizational/regional boards engage with government to achieve alignment with strategic priorities?
• Engagement – How do leaders encourage risk taking as part of an improvement strategy, setting the stage for larger and more disruptive change? How do they create a culture of engagement with front-line staff to make change happen in the care setting? How do they ensure a stronger voice for patients, families, and communities at every stage of change?
• Governance – What role do Boards play in supporting change at the organizational, local, and systems level? How do they establish expectations for improvement and collaboration in their strategic directions?
• Technology and digital health – What is the role of technology and digital health in transformational change? What is the role of industry and the private sector in enabling change? How do we ensure that the right care happens in the right place at the right time?
• Social determinants of health – How do health leaders address critical factors outside the health care system – the social determinants of health – influencing health and well-being? How do health system leaders work with community partners to improve the health of patients, families and communities?
The conference is a pivotal opportunity for health leaders to come together to identify, examine, learn and debate the winning conditions for improving the health of all Canadians. We encourage you to foster new ideas and partnerships by sharing experiences, guiding new initiatives and discovering creative solutions to ensure a healthy future for Canada.
Enjoy the conference!
Paul-Émile Cloutier, MHA, M.Pol.Sc., H.H.A., President and CEO, HealthCareCAN & Sue Owen, MHSc, CHE, Acting President and CEO, Canadian College of Health Leaders